Our Curriculum is designed to provide students with a broad, balanced and flexible programme of study, enabling each and every girl to become a successful learner, confident individual and responsible citizen.
We believe our curriculum gives every student the challenge and motivation to develop her individual abilities and talents to the full. Ricard’s girls and RR6 boys study in an atmosphere that celebrates and rewards success. Our rewards system recognises academic excellence as well as good conduct, good citizenship, effort and improvement.
Key Stage 3
At Key Stage 3, girls follow a common curriculum:
- English / Maths / Science
- Technology (Resistant Materials / Food / Textiles / Graphics / ICT)
- Modern Foreign Languages (French or Spanish dependant on preference, with students in our top Learning Groups also studying German)
- History / Geography / Religious Education
- Creative Arts (Art / Drama / Music /Dance)
- Physical Education
- Personal, Social Education (PSE), Careers & Citizenship
Students complete their lessons in a variety of groups:
- Learning Groups – structured based on attainment at KS2 for most subjects (In Year 7 English, Science, Technology, MFL, History, Geography, RE, Art, Drama, Dance, Music, PE.
- Mixed ability Tutor Groups – for am and pm registrations and PSE lessons with their tutor or member of the PSE teacher team.
- Smaller groups for Technology classes to enable high quality practical work.
- Sets in Maths from year 7, then in English and Science from Year 8
- Our lowest prior attainers are grouped into 7E (and from Sept 2017 – 8E) where they have additional lessons in English, extra support in Cedar Base, and reduced hours in Spanish and History.
Key Stage 4
In line with the National Curriculum and school policy we have a common core of subjects which everyone studies – Maths, English (Language and Literature), at least two GCSEs in Science, PSE, RE and PE.
Most students will have an extended core that includes either GCSE History or GCSE Geography and a GCSE in a Modern Foreign Language (French, German or Spanish). These combinations of subjects enable to students to achieve well in the EBACC, Attainment 8 and Progress 8 measures.
Pathways are available which allow students to study from a wide range of subjects, either GCSEs and / or BTECs.
Key Stage 5
Most Year 11 students at Ricards Lodge choose to apply for a place at our joint sixth form with Rutlish School - RR6. Details of the current curriculum offer of A’ Levels and BTEC courses can be found in the Sixth Form section of this website - Click here